Pass Green Gas

Friday, November 10, 2006

Boxer takes on the environment....

Maybe I've been a little cynical about the impact of the current shift of power in Congress. Senator Barbra Boxer is now chairwoman of the Senate Environmental Public Works Committee replacing the frequently insane Senator James Inhofe, a man in total global warming denial. Boxer said she intends to introduce legislation to curb greenhouse gases, strengthen environmental laws regarding public health and hold oversight hearings on federal plans to clean up Superfund sites across the country.

On global warming, Boxer said she would model federal legislation after a California law signed this summer by Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger. That law imposes the first statewide cap on greenhouse gases and seeks to cut California's emissions by 25 percent, dropping them to 1990 levels by 2020.

The White House signaled Thursday that the administration would work with Boxer. We'll see.
g

4 Comments:

  • Yes, it's nice to think about how some of the more insane people in the govt have been ousted.. I was crying with relief on Tuesday night. Time will tell, but they really can't be any worse!!!

    Excuse me, this is a little off topic, but I saw it and thought you'd like it. 'Free' energy from biomass combustion. Looks interesting.

    http://www.naturesfurnace.com/Default.htm

    By Blogger Chandira, at 12:13 PM  

  • I am usually totally off topic so don't worry about it. Thanks for the link. I'll check it out.

    By Blogger Galli Galli Sim Sim, at 12:16 PM  

  • Hi GGSS. While nearly anybody would have been an improvement over Inofe as Chairperson of this Committee, I think Boxer should be pretty good. I'm not holding my breath about a true change in heart and direction from the White House about global climate change, though, particularly not as long as Cheney is still alive and in office. That would anger too many of his private sector allies, not to mention Bush family friends in the Middle East! I'd expect a bold change on the conduct of the War or on federal funding for embryonic stem cell research before I expect any meaningful reform of the WH position on climate change, and I'm not holding my breath on thos other two issues either!
    Best Regards,
    Keith

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:23 AM  

  • Keith, the White House hasn't changed since Donnie Rumsfeld got thrown under the bus, they just got rid of some dead weight. I'm sketical too, but hope springs eternal...or something like that.
    g

    By Blogger Galli Galli Sim Sim, at 4:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home